The Great British SUMO Survey
Coming soon to an archaeological site near you this summer.
SUMO are inviting entries to win an archaeological geophysical survey carried out at your site this summer. The competition is open to both professional and amateur organisations competing in separate categories.
The winning entries will enjoy a professional survey fully compliant with the latest standards at no cost.
Your competition entry should include the site location and map, background history, geology and ground conditions and survey objectives. Please keep your presentation within 2 sides of A4 (excluding maps and images).
SUMO Geophysics for Archaeology & Engineering is the largest provider of archaeological geophysics in the UK. Incorporating GSB and Stratascan we have over 30 years’ experience in near surface geophysics, utilising the latest non-invasive ground characterisation techniques including high density GPR and magnetic cart systems.
For more information please contact David Elks in our Midlands office.
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01684 592266
1. This is a free entry prize competition and it is free of statutory regulatory control under the Gambling Act 2005.
2. The competition is being run by SUMO Services Limited (‘SUMO’).
3. The prize is a SUMO archaeological geophysical survey fully compliant with the latest Historic England and CIfA standards.
4. There is no maximum value of prize and there will be a minimum of two prizes available: one in each of the amateur and professional categories. The amateur category is open to private individuals and amateur historic / archaeological societies. The professional category is open to companies, charities, and public organisations.
5. The winning survey cannot be used for commercial gain and the title to the survey data will remain the property of SUMO at all times and cannot be replicated or used by third parties, without SUMO’s consent.
6. There is no cash alternative and SUMO will make no contribution to costs incurred to produce and submit entries. .
7. Prize winners will be selected on the quality of their proposal as determined at the sole discretion of SUMO, whose decision is final. More information on judgement criteria is available below. SUMO reserves the right to award no prizes if no entries meet our criteria.
8. Participants may submit entries for multiple sites.
9. The closing date for receipt of entries is 31st May 2017 23:59 BST. The closing date may be extended and late entries may be accepted at the discretion of SUMO.
10. Entries may be submitted by either post or email.
11. Submissions from organisations deemed to be competitors of any of the SUMO Group of companies will be excluded from the competition.
12. Employees and families of employees of the SUMO Group of companies are not eligible to enter the competition.
13. Winners will be notified by either phone/email or post before 14th June 2017.
14. The winning surveys will be carried out to mutually agreeable timescales. If such timescales cannot be agreed, the prize offering will be withdrawn.
15. The winners will be announced on the SUMO website.
16. By entering the competition, you agree that SUMO may use your application in its marketing / promotional material, including its website. If you are a winner, you also agree that a case study of the survey may be produced by SUMO, which will be used for SUMO marketing / promotional purposes, the details of which will be agreed with you, but you agree that you will not unreasonably withhold any essential details of the case study. SUMO confirms that no confidential details of any competition applicants will be revealed.
17. Only sites located within the mainland UK will be eligible for entry, however sites located further afield may be considered at our discretion.
Information required as a minimum on all competition applications and judgement criteria
1. Your name (including full details such as company name, company registration number, organisation name and charity number where applicable).
2. The nature of your business, if any.
3. Your address, contact name, telephone and email.
4. Whether you are entering the Professional category or Amateur category.
5. A brief summary of the site including: -
a. An address and map clearly showing the site outline.
b. A summary of background historical information and work previously carried out on the site
c. Any available information on the geology and ground conditions.
d. The archaeological objectives. You do not need to include details of suitable geophysical survey techniques.
The content to be no longer than 2 sides of A4, excluding contact details, maps and images.
6. Judgement criteria:
a. Compliance with the rules and minimum inclusions listed above.
b. Value of information to the archaeological record that the survey will achieve.
c. Likelihood of meeting the entrant’s objectives (we reserve the right to offer a prize that does not meet all of the entrant’s objectives)
d. Practical, logistical and access considerations.
7. Competition entries will only be accepted either by email to: - email@example.com with the Subject line “The Great British SUMO Survey
Or by post to:
The Great British SUMO Survey
SUMO Services Vineyard House Upper Hook Road Upton upon Severn Worcestershire WR8 0SA