Laser Scanning & 3D Modelling
To accurately and quickly produce a 3D model of virtually any structure, we employ a high definition laser scanner.
Laser scanning is rapid and accurate, collecting of millions of points of data in seconds. Very detailed facades, street scenes, pipework and structures are recorded in a fraction of the time of traditional methods.
Surveys that would traditionally have required the use of scaffolding, cherry pickers, traffic management, etc. can now can be surveyed either without these or substantially reduced amounts, so reducing costs and time.
Sufficient data is collected during the initial site visit, to avoid the need for any costly re-visits should further drawings or details be needed at a later date, including building sections, reflective ceiling plans or finer detail such as skirting board and architrave profiles.
Typical applications include
- Street Scenes: elevations, street furniture and plantings rapidly measured without access or traffic management issues.
- Heritage Projects: buildings and archaeological sites and remains of any age, shape and state of disrepair measured accurately and safely.
- Building defects such as cracks can be plotted and accurately measured or monitored for movement, if subsequent scans are undertaken.
- Industrial Plants: details of pipework and cabling collected with ease and without the need for direct access to dangerous areas.
- Difficult to access roof details and confined spaces accurately measured
- Highways & Railways: data collected remotely reducing costs and risk to staff.
Outputs & 3D Modelling
The output imagery can be presented from simple 'Point Clouds' through to full 3D models in BIM ready format. There are a number of outputs that are available to our clients: -
- Graphic Scale Plans – these can be made available within a few days of completing the survey. It comprises of a scaled picture of the scan that will allow you to start planning to scale.
- Webshare - A few days after your survey we’ll give you a unique login to enable you and your colleagues to view the various internal and external scans that have been recorded.
- Analytical Views - colour by elevation can be used to reveal subtle deformation in surfaces that have been scanned, this can include floors that appear flat or walls that have bowed.
- Point Cloud – We can provide you with your point cloud to start working with the data yourself.
- 2D Drawing - Floor Plan Surveys, Reflective Ceiling Plans, Simple Elevations through to detailed ‘brick by brick’ elevations and Building Sections at any given location, with either basic detail or full detail, including coving profiles, etc.
- 3D Model – We can provide you with different types of 3D model: -
- Mass Model - basic 3D solid model showing the outside of the building.
- Basic Model (shell & core) - a simple model of the various elements of the building. There are structural holes shown but not what’s within them i.e. windows.
- Standard Model – showing added details such as generic windows, doors and walls. Sections and elevations can be taken at any point.
- Detailed Model – this includes lights, ceiling grids, skirting etc.
- Detailed Model – visually realistic
- Revit Deliverable – we can produce full Revit model to form part of your BIM project. Any level of information can be added to any of the above outputs.